Sunday, February 13, 2011

Average Cost Of Vision Insurance

gapcomics: Special Issue Egypt!

Originally, I wanted to go on further with the established storyline, but on Friday February 11, 2011, the news on the success (for now) of the revolution in Egypt reached me. As a former resident of the German Democratic Republic (Eastern Germany) , these news were of big importance to me. Although I was too young to even participate in the peaceful revolution in Germany in 1989, it is part of me to this day. I can't even describe how proud I am of my people to accomplish such a thing. To topple a dictatorial regime without firing one shot, without killing one man; just wanting to end the oppression. (Although, many people did not and perhaps do not, see this time as oppression; mainly beacuse they did grow up during that era and lived their normal lives, maybe never did get in conflict with the state.) But to me, retrospectively, it is one of the great wonders in the whole last century.

And to see how the will of the people can change their world. Egypt, once a kingdom, an empire even. Culturally unchallenged in the world. The Egyptians were ancient when other cultures in Europe evolved. And now, right now, the people of Egypt are starting into a whole new world. The people decided to do it. The men, the women, the children, the parents, the old, and the young. Everyone! And this is the only way to achieve a republic, a society for people. When these people want it out of their own free will! You can’t impose democracy on people. Like every idea - and in the end, everything is just an idea - it have to spread and claim a place in one’s heart.

And right now, the hearts of many Egyptians are bursting with this idea. I wish you success in your claim to create a free and truly democratic Republic of Egypt! We did it in Germany 21 years ago. Without violence but with inner strength and sheer will. I wish you the same inner strength and the same will to do it!

And in this light, my hastly and bad drawn comicstrip itself isn't of so much importance as the meaning of it. The wish behind it. The thoughts and prayers I'm sending to the people down there.

I have hope.

0 comments:

Post a Comment